Frequently Asked Questions

About Visa's for International Students

How to come to the United States – Visa and Immigration Information

Upon completing your application at Q International School, we will walk you through the process of getting your visa to enter the United States. 

Use the step-by-step descriptions already included on the page – but follow the same format as the FAQ. As it currently is, there is too much text.


Student Visa F-1

A student visa allows you to study in the United States more than 18 hours of English per week.  You will first need to receive the I-20 form from Q International School. An I-20 form is a government form that indicates you are eligible for an F-1 student visa. The process to get an F-1 visa is as follows:



  1. Receive welcome packet from Q International School (Acceptance, and I-20 Form)
  2. Make an appointment for an F-1 visa at a US Consulate or Embassy. Make sure to check the US Department of State Visa website for procedures (show link here)
  3. Receive visa to come and study in the US.


Tourist Visa B-2

The B-2 visitor visa is intended only for new tourists who are traveling to the United States temporarily, either for pleasure, tourism, or medical treatment. This may include a short course of study that is recreational. A B-2 visitor may not include course work that will count as credit towards a degree. The Vacation Pathway is ideal for visitors on the tourist visa. 


Transferring F-1 Student Visa

An F-1 student may be eligible to transfer to Q International School. The process is simple. 


  • First, receive confirmation from Q International School indicating your acceptance to the institution.
  • Second, submit the transfer form.
  • Finally, attend Q International School’s orientation.


If you have questions about visa or immigration, please contact us or stop the office.  (maybe have our address and contact information?)

No, however if you come on a tourist visa, you may only study part-time (less than 18 hours per week). If your primary purpose for entering the U.S. is to study, it is in your best interest to get an F-1 (student) visa.

An F-1 visa is an immigration document that permits a foreign citizen to come to the U.S. to study full-time for a temporary period of time.

You must first apply to Q International School. If eligible for admission, Q International School will issue an “Initial Attendance” Form I-20. Upon receipt of Form I-20, you will need to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee online at Then you can schedule your visa interview. The SEVIS I-901 fee supports the system that tracks students and ensures they maintain their visa status while in the U.S. After paying the fee, you will then need to visit the U.S. Embassy/Consulate in your home country to get an F-1 visa.

From the time Q International School receives your application fee, it takes 1-3 weeks for you to receive the I-20 documents via regular international mail. If you request that we expedite your I-20 (recommended), it will be sent via FedEx. Please refer to Tuition and Fees for current FedEx charges.

Upon receipt of Form I-20, you will need to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee online at you can Schedule your visa interview with the US embassy/consulate. Please make sure you submit the application form found online:

Email us at to let us know that you are coming.

Please contact us. If needed, we can re-issue another I-20 so you may schedule another visa appointment. Please email us at

The length of time printed on your I-20 is pre-determined by the course you are taking and not by the number of weeks you will be studying with us. If you end your course before your I-20 expiration date and do not re-enroll, your I-20 will be shortened to reflect your early end date. If you want to stay for the full length of your I-20, you will have to pay for an extension of your course and continue to maintain full-time studies during the extension. After your last day of study you will be permitted a grace period of 60 calendar days to transfer to another school or depart the U.S.

According to U.S. government regulations, you are not eligible to work with an F-1 visa.

You have up to 30 days before the start date listed on your I-20 to enter the U.S.

Once your program is complete, you are eligible to stay in the country 60 days. Then you must either transfer to another institution or leave the country.

The following is a step-by-step description of the F-1 Student Visa application procedures. Please follow the instructions very carefully, click on the links below or visit the websites for more information. Let us know if you need any assistance.

  • FORM I-20 You must sign and date item 11 on page 1 of the Form I-20.

    SEVIS is a web-based Immigration system for maintaining information on international students. Your Form I-20 was issued in the SEVIS system and has a unique SEVIS ID number in the upper right corner of page 1.

    To pay the SEVIS fee online:

  • Go to
  • Complete the Form I-901 online and provide the necessary credit card information to pay the SEVIS fee.
  • **Important: write your name exactly as it appears on your Form I-20!
  • Print a copy of the online receipt.
  • Make copies of your receipt and keep it with your other important immigration documents. The fee must be paid online at least three business days prior to the interview date to ensure that the payment can be deposited and recorded in SEVIS. The interviewing officer at the Consulate or Embassy will confirm that the fee has been paid by accessing the SEVIS system.


    The electronic visa application form can be found online at is important to follow the instructions very carefully and make sure to save your data regularly.


    Follow the instructions on your local U.S. Embassy or Consulate’s website to pay the visa application fee.


    Contact the U.S. Consulate or Embassy in your area and follow their instructions to schedule an interview for your F-1 visa interview. A list of U.S. Consulates and Embassies can be found at


    Here is a checklist of all documents you need to prepare and bring to your visa interview:

  • Your passport (must be valid for at least six months from your expected arrival date in the U.S.)
  • Original Form I-20
  • Letter of Acceptance
  • Form DS-160 (confirmation page)
  • One 2×2-inch (5.08×5.08 cm) passport photograph in the correct format:
  • A receipt for the visa application fee
  • A receipt for the SEVIS fee
  • Financial evidence (bank statement, etc.) that shows you have sufficient funds to cover your tuition and living expenses during the period you intend to study.
  • Any information that proves that you will return to your home country after finishing your studies in the U.S. This may include proof of property, family, or other ties to your community, letter from your employer or school, etc.
  • During the interview, remain calm and answer all the visa officer’s questions openly and honestly.

    After you receive the F-1 visa, you can enter the U.S. up to 30 days before the starting date on your I-20, but no later than that date. Contact us immediately if you need to change the starting date.


    The Form I-94 is the Arrival /Departure Record, in either paper or electronic format, issued by a Customs and border Protection (CBP) Officer to foreign visitors entering the United States. After April 30, 2013, most Arrival/Departure records will be created electronically upon arrival. Instead of paper form, the visitor will be provided with an annotated stamp in the foreign passport. If provided a paper form, the admitting CBP Officer generally attaches the I-94 to the visitor’s passport and stamps the departure date on the form.


CALL US +1 (619) 450-2224

Or email us for more information











Let's socialize

Copyright © 2017 Q International School All rights reserved.


Monday - Friday 8:30AM - 5:30pm


1 (619) 450-2224

Performance Fact Sheet 2015-2016
Annual Report